Real People Hurricane Relief

Real People Relief is for individuals, families and groups who wish to help a person or family directly, with no "middle man" "Be The Change" Ghandi "I pray that I may not be tempted, by indifference or selfishness to withhold from others the help I have received." Author Unknown to me

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

About The Moderator


Condensing 40 years into 1 page is going to be a challenge. If I can do this, I should work for Reader's Digest.

Anyway, I'm 41, divorced, no kids.

Born and raised in NYS (NOT NYC) with a gypsy nature, moving every 14 months since I was 20.

I've worked in construction, healthcare, about 3 different service sectors, management and self-employment.

I have degrees in Paramedic, Health Science and Herbalism.

I prefer reading professional journals and resource type items to fiction or "joy" reading.

I have roots back to the Mayflower and the American Revolution (different sides of the family). I'm a 4th generation (at least 4th) quilter, 3rd Gen volunteer, 3rd Gen entrepreneur (on both sides) and a 5th Gen (at least) gardner.

I've lived in my car and in a 2000 sq foot house and everything in between.

I am a problem solver, a researcher and a networker.

I am also disabled. 5 years ago, I was fighting chronic sinusitis, awaiting surgery, when a virus attacked the nerves in my right ear. I can still hear, but my balance is forever screwed up. Both rehab and experts agree that either my brain will rewire or it won't.

So I live with my parents, unable to support myself financially, or even physically. Daily life is a challenge. I've improved so much, but am still so far from being able to work again. It's frustrating beyond words.

However, even if I can't recover, that doesn't mean others shouldn't be able to. So ever since The Storms of '05, I have worked every day at finding ways to help both individuals and volunteers get the help they need to speed the recovery efforts. I may not be able to come down and get my hands dirty, but I can make it so more people can.

I focused my efforts on Hancock County, MS to begin with, and remain dedicated to their rebuilding. But, as things flow more smoothly for the volunteer groups, I am now focusing my attention on the individuals who have fallen through the cracks of "organized relief".

And that, is it. That's my story.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger SleepingBeauty said...

I just wanted to let you know that I think what you're doing is great.

I also struggle with a debilitating condition (narcolepsy) and with the aftermath of Katrina through blogging. Check out my blogs when you get a chance.

http://sincekatrina.blogspot.com
http://1third.blogspot.com

4/08/2007 10:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home