Real People Hurricane Relief

Real People Relief is for individuals, families and groups who wish to help a person or family directly, with no "middle man" "Be The Change" Ghandi "I pray that I may not be tempted, by indifference or selfishness to withhold from others the help I have received." Author Unknown to me

Saturday, December 01, 2007

Carol + 5



Carol R, Ashli, William, Amber, Alexa, Connor

Email: crandall0523 @hotmail.com

Location: Pre-Katrina - I lived in St. Bernard Parish, just outside of New Orleans
Post-Katrina – Lived in California for a year.
Currently – Living in a Fema trailer in Picayune, MS

Number if Household: Six
Carol – 41 years old
Ashli – 21 years old
William – 19 years old
Amber – 13 years old
Alexa – 1 year old
Connor – 7 months old

Situation: I rented in St. Bernard prior to the hurricane. We lost everything except for a couple days worth of clothes. I had renters insurance which doesn’t cover flood, therefore they didn’t pay me anything. Because I had renters insurance, Fema did not pay me either other than rental assistance until I got into the Fema trailer.
After the storm hit and we were here and there for 3 weeks, we went to CA upon the request of some friends to stay with them. I was able to get my kids into a temporary stable environment and back into school (my son was a senior and my daughter in 6th grade). We finally found an apartment and ended up staying in CA for a year waiting to see if we could get a Fema trailer back home.
We got the Fema trailer in August 06 and moved back. My employer held my job for me, however now I am traveling 40 minutes each way. I used to be 10 minutes from work. I cannot afford the high rents so we are still in a Fema trailer.
I am trying to find a higher paying job so we can get an apartment, but right now all of my income is consumed by utilities, gas to travel to and from work, food and other bills. Our lives are still far from settled.
We applied for Fema, Red Cross and Salvation Army help.
Like others, we received a debit card from the Red Cross just after the storm and used that for clothing, etc. We received help from a church in CA of furniture, food gift cards, etc. but had to give the furniture away to other evacuees when we moved back to MS.
My husband lost his job in January 07 and with the stress of the hurricane and then that, our marriage didn’t survive. He and I have been separated for 4 months, so I am going this alone now. Trying to do all I can for my children, grandchildren and myself.
Any help would be greatly appreciated especially with the holidays coming.

Current living arrangements: Fema trailer in Picayune, MS

Help Rec’d: Rental assistance from Fema while renting (now in Fema trailer)
Food Stamps after storm (for 6 months)
Red Cross debit card in 9/05
$100 from Resurrection Life Church toward utility bills

Needs: Any food or household supplies

Clothing:
Amber - 12/14
Alexa – 24 months
Connor – 12 months

Gift Cards:
Walmart (for food or other items)
Winn-Dixie
Penney’s
Target
Aeorpostale
12/1
As I said before, I know that many people think that everyone who went through Katrina must be settled by now, but that is far from true. We struggle daily with the loss of our town, community of friends and just dealing with the fact that overnight our lives have been changed forever...but in the end through our own determination and the help and kindness of others, our lives will be repaired and hopefully we will be stronger human beings. We have learned that there are wonderful people in this world such as you, who can and will make a difference in many lives...and on behalf of myself and my family, I thank you for that.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home